Tuesday, January 1, 2013

DIY Glitter Jar

There is never enough glitter, glam or glitz in my life. I figured since it's New Years Day I had to celebrate with some glitter. What's not to love about starting a fresh new year? It's a new start to a new you and so why not include a DIY glitter project to kick it off? I don't know what's better.

This glitter jar is super easy to make and adds a little happiness to the home. Add make up brushes, paint brushes  flowers, pens or even use it as a candle votive. There is some room for creativity with glitter colors, how much glitter you would like to use and what type of glitter to use. I had jems, sequins and glitter stickers but I decided to keep it simple with just gold glitter. Follow my tutorial to create your own glitter happiness in a jar.
Supplies Needed: 
Jar 
(use whatever empty jar you have. I used a pickle jar but you could use a mason jar, spaghetti jar or whatever you have depending on the size you would like)
Glitter 
(I happened to have thick glitter but you could use thin glitter for a more "clean" look)
Modge Podge
Paintbrush
How To:
Step 1: Take whatever jar you are have, clean and scrape off label. I used warm soapy water and a dish scrubby and the label tore right off) You can see my jar had an expiration date printed on it. A little acetone wipes that right off.
Step 2: Let your jar dry before applying Modge Podge.
Step 3: Make sure you have paper toweling underneath your work space otherwise you will have glitter all over! Start applying Modge Podge! I ended up applying the Modge Podge in sections, to make sure it didn't dry before I applied the glitter
Step 4: I found it best to apply a thin layer of glitter first, and then do another layer over the top of the first one. Applying a second layer of Modge Podge added a nicer looking texture and more of a "glitzy" look
Wallah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment