Monday, January 14, 2013

Chic, Cheap DIY Storage

I live in a one bedroom apartment and am always looking for storage ideas. There is never enough storage and I'm finding myself coming up with smart storage solutions. I'm still a college student so you know I don't have a budget, let alone much extra money! (haha, seriously) I came up with this crazy great idea of wrapping an empty can with rope! Who would have thought how chic it looks. I plan on saving all of my cans, coffee tins and anything that could work covered in rope!

I put my make-up brushes in this one but I want to create more and fill with craft supplies, bathroom "stuff" such as cotton balls, nail polishes, or any other bathroom junk. These are really easy to make, (this one took me 10-15 minutes to make) and it turned out really cute! Next time I would try to apply the rope peices closer together so there isn't so much silver space showing in between. But other than that this DIY project is really easy, cheap and cute. There is always room for storage and this is a quick, easy fix for those small things that need a place or even as decoration. They are cute on their own, especially if there was an arrangement of different sizes. 
Supplies Needed
Empty can 
(coffee can, soup can etc..)
Hot Glue Gun
Rope 
(available at any craft store this was only $4.00 and will cover lots of cans)
How To
Step 1: Clean out your can and rip off label
Step 2: Scrap off excess adhesive. Make sure dry before starting glue process
Step 3: Start applying hot glue starting at top of can (sorry I don't have step by step pictures, I got to excited!)
Step 4: Keep applying glue, while adding rope. Work your way down the can. Make sure to apply enough glue and apply rope tightly together.
Step 5: Finish off rope at the bottom. 
Step 6: To add a nice finish, I added a layer of the top of the can so it covered the ends of the rope and added a nice looking touch (if that makes sense)


No comments:

Post a Comment